Do you know?Your skin is the largest organ of your body and can be responsible for upto 15% of your bodyweight. An average square inch of skin contains around 65 hairs, 650 sweat glands, 20 blood vessels and 1000 nerve endings.
Your skin is made up of several layers and it can take around 15 days in younger people and upto 45 days in older people for the shedding of cells once they form and mature. The colour of the skin is determined by the melanin present in the outer layers. Higher the melanin content, darker the skin. The skin provides you with your appearance, shape and form by holding all of your structures together. But apart from this
our skin has other functions.
1) Protection – your skin is the first line of defense for your body against the external environment – eg: UV radiation, bacterial, fungal or viral agents.
2) Temperature regulation – through sweating and changes in blood circulation skin maintains body temperature.
4) Storage & synthesis – eg: – Vit ‘D’
5) Elimination – Skin removes waste products through sweating.
So the skin is very important to us and we should take good care of it…. So here are Dr.Thaj’s advice for daily skin care.
1) Cleanse your skin each morning and each night to remove any dirt, make up and the top layer of dead cells. Select a good quality cleanser depending on your skin type.
2) Toning – A toner refreshes the skin and helps to improve the texture of your skin. It also removes any final traces of your cleanser.
3) Moisturising – The moisture in the skin will be lost due to weather , pollution and air conditioning so it is important to replenish it especially after 30 yrs of age. Select a moisturizer that suits your skin type and the time of year. Apply moisturizer soon after bath when the skin is still wet.
Top 10 tips for perfect skin.
1) Have a balanced diet rich in fruits and vegetables and drink adequate quantity of water.
2) Sleep well and relax your mind.
3) Cut down on tea, coffee and alcohol.
4) Avoid sugary snacks and junk food.
5) Exercise to get your lymphatic system clearing out those toxins. It also relaxes the body and mind.
6) Cleanse, tone and moisture with products that are free from fragrances and comedogenic chemicals.
7) Use a sunscreen with SPF 15 ,half an hour before going out in the sun and reapply it every 2-3 hrs if you are in the sun.
8) Massage your skin especially your face and neck to reduce signs of ageing and to improve circulation.
9) Get plenty of fresh air.
10) Consult a dermatologist immediately when you develop any problem related to skin & hair