The miraDry is the most advanced treatment procedure performed on people who suffer from excessive sweating or Hyperhidrosis.
miraDry uses thermal energy that targets and eliminates the sweat glands in your underarm. Once those glands are eliminated, they do not grow back. A miraDry treatment procedure can be performed by a trained medical professional in one hour.
Hyperhidrosis is an uncontrollable condition. For people with hyperhidrosis or excessive sweating, the sweat glands are generally overactive, producing more sweat than is necessary. Excessive underarm sweat is the most bothersome and common form of excessive sweating.
How does miraDry work?
Eccrine and apocrine glands in the axilla create sweat and odor. These glands, along with a high density of hair follicles, are found below the skin’s surface at the dermal-fat interface.
To achieve gland and follicle elimination, precise, concentrated microwave energy (5.8 GHz) is delivered to the dermal-fat interface. Continuous hydro ceramic cooling protects the dermis while heat spreads to the dermal-fat interface, eliminating the targeted glands and follicles.
Benefits of miraDry treatment
- Safely and permanently reduces underarm sweat, odor and hair
- Lasting efficacy
- High patient satisfaction
- Non-invasive (no surgical incisions or cuts)
- Strong safety profile
- Minimal patient downtime
The miraDry treatment is the only FDA-approved treatment that can reduce underarm sweat by eliminating the root cause of excessive sweat and its accompanying odor.
miraDry treatment procedure
Local anaesthesia is administered to assure maximum comfort during the treatment.
A temporary tattoo is used to mark skin in preparation for treatment.
The area is treated with miraDry, eliminating sweat and odour glands in the underarm.
The treatment usually takes one hour, and the results are visible even after the first session.
I underwent axillary surgery a few years back. Can I undergo a miraDry treatment?
miraDry is NOT recommended for patients who
- Have had previous axillary surgery
- Have a heart pacemaker or other electronic device implant
- Use supplemental oxygen
- Have had prior problems with locally injected anesthesia
(e.g., lidocaine with epinephrine, medications that interfere with numbing, etc.)
Can I expect an immediate result?
- Reduction in underarm sweat after the first procedure
- Permanent results in as little as one treatment
- Sweat glands are destroyed and do not regenerate
- A significant reduction of reported underarm sweat – 82% average reduction*
- Reduction in underarm hair and odor
Are there any side effects?
After the treatment, patients may experience common side effects such as
- Swelling in the treated area – 1-8 weeks
- Soreness, discomfort or tenderness of the treated area – 2-3 weeks
- Altered sensation in or around treatment area – 1-12 weeks
- Redness from device suction – A few days
- Temporary bumps of lumpiness in the axilla – 4-6 weeks
Side Effects – Less Common
- Swelling in adjacent arm or torso – 1 week
- Hyperpigmentation – Upto 8 weeks
- Soreness in arm or shoulder due to procedure positioning – A few days
- Numbness or tingling in the arm due to anesthesia – lasting < 1 day
- Tight band in the treated area – Upto 8 weeks
- Shaking due to epinephrine in anesthesia – < 1 day
What precautions should I take after treatment?
It is advisable to avoid the following after miraDRY treatment.
- Shaving within the first 7 days
- Applying antiperspirant/deodorant within the first five days
- Vigorous activity for a minimum of 72 hours, ideally one week